Saturday, April 26, 2014

Clarification

As I observe the whole construction process at our school, I describe what I see happening in layman's terms.  I presume those in the industry would shake their head and smile.  I ask questions because I really want to know but cannot quite grasp the whole process.  So I just report what I see and hope the photos will explain what is happening at our school.

In my last blog, I shared this photo and said I didn't know what the pipes were for.  Well, here's an explanation from Bob Purdie who is with the DOE Facilities Branch.

The silver pipes are air ducts.  The pipes in the ground are electrical and telcom conduits.  Pipes are vehicles for fluids, compressed gas, light and rails.

Isn't if funny how the technology of the trade impacts our ability to describe the work and changes our perception of its reality?

In reality all ducts, conduits, and pipes are directing movement of energy, and or matter.  Their common bond is that they are closed.  We might as well just call them "closed movers" and then have a unified field theory for all. 

Thanks, Bob, for the clarification!  I'll try not to mangle the terminology in the future, but I'm not promising anything!


No comments:

Post a Comment